Italian Lemon Cake / Torta al limone
There are many variations of this classic lemon cake recipe in Italy. This cake is light and fresh, but not too sweet and is made on the Amalfi coast of the Campania region of Southern Italy.
- 275g wholemeal sifted self-raising flour
- 110g caster sugar
- Grated rind and juice of 1 large lemon
- 2 large free range eggs
- 150ml olive oil
- 1 x 125g carton lemon yogurt
- For the drizzle: 4 tbsp icing sugar and the juice of 1 lemon
- 20cm round non-stick cake tin, otherwise greased with butter
- Preheat your oven to 180°C/350°F/gas mark 4.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar and lemon rind. Make a well in the centre and add the eggs, olive oil, and yogurt and lemon juice.
- Stir everything together carefully to form a smooth mixture, and then pour into the prepared cake tin.
- Bake in the oven for 45 minutes, or until the cake is risen and golden and a sharp knife inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Leave to stand in the tin for a few minutes, and then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely. For the icing:
- Sieve the icing sugar into a bowl
- Add the lemon juice to the icing sugar and mix vigorously until it has the consistency of syrup
- spread the glacé over the top of the cake with a spatula
- spread it evenly and let it drizzle down the sides
- Let the glacé set before serving.
- Serve on its own or with cream or ice-cream.
Marilyn baked this lemon cake and here is the review of the cake by Keith and Marilyn
“The recipe was very easy to follow with very clear instructions and everything you needed to know. The end result was very tasty, very light and lemony, however we both felt that it would be even more tasty served with cream.”
Cooked, reviewed and photographed by MARILYN AND KIETH (Oxfordshire, UK)