Roasted Mixed Vegetables / Verdure Miste Arrostite
I know the vegetarian menu on the Ristorante Mugolone menu board says Grilled Vegetables but my wife and I have not enjoyed grilled (charred) vegetables in the past. To me roasting vegetables intensifies their flavours and we prefer that form of cooking in this menu. “These vegetables are so versatile, and can be used on top of salad greens, mixed with pasta, or served as a side dish. My personal favourite way to eat the meal is all on its own when it is still slightly warm from the oven. I top the dish with some crumbled goat cheese and serve it with crusty bread as my main course.” Deborah Mele.
- 1 medium aubergine, stem end removed
- 1 large red onion, peeled, root and stem end removed
- 1 large courgette, stem end removed
- 1 large red pepper, cored and seeded
- 1 large yellow pepper, cored and seeded
- 200 g fresh cherry tomatoes cut in half
- 4 to 5 tablespoons good olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled & minced
- ½ tbsp dried oregano
- Fresh sea salt & black pepper
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Preheat the oven to 375° F / 190°C / gas mark 5.
- Cut all of the vegetables into bite size pieces.
- Place the vegetables and garlic in a large mixing bowl. Drizzle generously with about 100 ml olive oil. Add the dried oregano, salt and pepper.
- Use your hands to lightly toss and mix the vegetables to ensure they are coated all over.
- Place the vegetables on a foil baking sheet and drizzle with the rest of the olive oil.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until the vegetables are fork-tender and browned. You will need to turn the vegetables over a couple of times during the cooking period to ensure even browning.
- Remove from the oven and with a slotted spoon transfer to a tureen and allow to cool until the vegetables are just warm.
- Sprinkle with the balsamic vinegar and chopped basil and toss to mix well.
- Serving suggestion: serve with a salad of rocket leaves, whole walnuts, stoned olives, raisins, lemon slices, salt, pepper and extra virgin olive oil.