Tuscan Baked Squash or Pumpkin with Cheese / Squash al forno o zucca con formaggio
“This is beautiful, and the delicate mix of sweet and savoury flavours is delightful. You can use pumpkin instead of butternut squash.” Claudia Roden
- 3-4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Sea salt and black pepper
- 3 tbsp finely grated vegetarian cheese e.g pecorino
- 500 g peeled squash or pumpkin cut in dice of about 3cm
- In a shallow baking dish mix the olive oil, salt and pepper and the grated cheese.
- Put in the squash or pumpkin and mix well so that the pieces are covered all over.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven set at 190°C / 170°C fan oven / gas mark 5 for 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and gently stir the pieces.
- Return to the oven and cook for a further 15 minutes until fork tender.
- Remove the dish from the oven and place ready to serve.